Friday 26 April 2013

Another candle burning down...

Barry Windsor Smith: Blackwater


The days of our future stand in front of us
like a row of little lit candles --
golden, warm, and lively little candles.

The days past remain behind us,
a mournful line of extinguished candles;
the ones nearest are still smoking,
cold candles, melted, and bent.

I do not want to look at them; their form saddens me,
and it saddens me to recall their first light.
I look ahead at my lit candles.

I do not want to turn back, lest I see and shudder
at how fast the dark line lengthens,

at how fast the extinguished candles multiply.

(C. Cavafy - Candles (1899))


(Heir Apparent - Another Candle)

I've seen through times of mystery
And dreamed of truth in history
I can't imagine why we'd let our lives be stole away-
For Armageddon
To be their pawns
And fear their Gods
With no free will - NO!

Another candle burning down
See the flickering light upon the ground
There'll never be a Chosen Few
The ignorant- they never knew
And now the oceans cry
From the fire in the sky
And there's nothing you can do
'Cause the world you've known is through

And now your people cry
At the rivers running dry
And there's nothing you can do
'Cause the world you've known is through

Desire- - the lust for total joy
The Fire- - a world it shall destroy
Fever- - you'll feel it in your mind-
It's the nature of your kind

Lost - the future from your view
The Cost - too high to start anew
Reason - the one thing you ignore-
Could open up the door

Another candle burning down...