Tuesday 16 April 2013

Alive but dead...

Arthur Hughes: The Pained Heart (aka 'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more')


As I walk the streets I feel no pain,
There is no love or hate, can¹t see no certain state I¹m in.
And a hog laid itself on my heart
Like this misty morning as this cloudy day begins.
Still I wonder should I be afraid
About what¹s happening and how long has it been - don¹t know.
Why did come this shadow in my head
Like I have lost my soul, like I¹m alive but dead.
As I walk the streets I feel no fear,
Although I notice that there is no feeling anymore.
And I try to send my mind back to the times
When I was able to live something to the core.
Dark, dark as the grave, my heart is dead,
I¹m just a slave to what they¹ve said. (this decay)
Still I¹m alive but I feel dead.
Dark, dark as the grave, my heart is dead
I¹m just a slave to when you call. (my disease)
Still I¹m alive but I must be dead.
Alive but dead
Can¹t fill my head
Darkness, there¹s darkness everywhere
You gotta help me out of here,
I don¹t want to stay alive without the capability to feel!